Zombies Live Among Us- No Those are Dog Breeders
Zombies might live among us… In the form of dog breeders who clean poo while simultaneously making zombie like noises just to stay awake…then wake up that night to make sure the next litter of puppies survives.
Some illegitimate puppy mills have given those of us who want to attempt breeding a bad rep.
Registered dogs are still selling, but a large majority of people believe its wrong. What gives? Why are dog breeders bad people?
Larry wanted a dog for his family. Instead of shopping for purebred dogs he decided to look at shelters.
Larry picked out a dog from the shelter, and named him Griff. When he brought Griff home his children looked so happy, and the dog seemed to love everyone instantly.
Larry grew up around dogs so he had some training experience, and he taught his kids how to treat Griff properly.
Five weeks later Larry’s 7-year-old-daughter Emily was riding her bike.
Griff bared his teeth, snarled, and ran up behind Emily and bit her.
Emily was petrified… tears ran down her face but not for the reason your thinking of. She was HURT, although what REALLY hurt her was the fact that her new dog…
the dog she loves,
for no reason.
Larry might have been able to prevent this with training, but in some cases you CANNOT change an older dogs behavior.
We won’t look past the issue that this can happen with ANY dog, but its more likely to happen with a dog who hasn’t been socialized or trained properly.
Shelters have an important place in our society. Please don’t take this post as an argument against shelters because we are incredibly LUCKY to have them. Most of the time situations like this don’t happen, although its more likely to happen if you have children. Keep in mind puppies are more trainable along with the fact that you have control over socialization.
Lets do this the right way.
Why We Think it’s Acceptable to Breed Dogs
- If no one bred dogs there wouldn’t be enough puppies in the world, accidents wouldn’t be able to meet demand.
- Dogs who come from shelters have more training and social issues. In other words they are typically higher maintenance which causes their well intentioned owners A LOT of heartache.
- Some people want dogs for hunting, herding, or rescue dogs. Without these specialized type of breeders we wouldn’t have these types of dogs. If you want to buy a Boston terrier, then you want a Boston terrier not a Pit bull.
- Most breeders take very good care of their dogs, and these breeders are typically state and USDA licensed.
- Even a newbie can find a good vet and websites with lots of good information like Breeding Business.
Want more reasons why we need purebred dogs? If so see this article on the Huffington Post Blog.